reflections on a journey to the deep south
ok, maybe it was Kentucky, and that might not be "the deep south" but it sure was in "the south"
highlights of the trip include, but are not limited to:
-calling the one & only Nathan Campbell at The Franciscan University on the feast day of St. Francis; leaving him a message that went something like this, "hey Nate, it's your favorite protestants wishing you a happy St. Francis feast day!"
-attending education classes at a secular college.
-sitting in on a mock lesson plan on vocabulary. four students from the class tought the lesson, and the rest of us were the "class". we were given a piece of paper and were instructed to read it, and make notes of words we didn't know. this was the passage, entitled "transportation trouble":
"Girl, you ain't gonna believe what went down the other day! That janky tool that lives down the street tried to pick me up! I was goin' out to the club, ready to kill it with my sick new threads, and he comes walkin' up. He sure ain't got any steelo (looks like he's lit 'bout half the time!) I knew I'd never wanna tap that, but I thought it couldn't hurt to have him drop some mad cheddar takin' me out! He was all flossin' like he had this killer ride, sayin' it was the bomb and he'd drive us downtown to the club. Well, then he goes and pulls up in the biggest hoopty I've ever seen! Shoo, girl! I told him to step off, that I'd rather take the bus than be seen in that ghetto thing! I just had to call you up so I could dime him out, that nasty poser!"
...and just because it's killing you not to know the meaning of these buzz words, here are the definitions, so you too, the average blog reader, can refine your rhetoric:
bomb: best, remarkable, extraordinary
cheddar: currency, money
dime out: inform on, thell on, expose
floss: to flaunt, boast
hoopty: an old beaten up dilapdated car, originally exclusive to large American cars from the 1970's or 1980's
janky: undesirable, intensly repellant or unpleasant
kill it: to do a good job
lit: intoxicated, under the influence
sick: great, phenomenal, or high quality
steelo: style
tap: become physically intimate with
tool: fool, idiot, useless individual
-In Social Studdies, it was a lesson on the Day of The Dead. We had to make altars...some people brought in Rosarys for the altars, among other things (flags, fruit, dead things, candles, etc.). One thing led to another, and Beth and I tought the class, and Prof how to pray the Rosary!
-getting our lunch critiqued by the entire senior senior class of the college of education at UK!
it was just hummus and pita, carrots, and apples! and we ate on the grass (not THE grass) because it was warmer and in the sun! i'm sorry if i strive to actually eat fruits and vegetables!
-finally talking to Nathan Campbell on the phone, well speaker phone. and yelling as service got sketchy, "no Nate! don't break up with us!!!!"
-driving half of the way home with Beth! we stopped in Charleston, WVA for dinner, and that's where she got her ride to Roanoke. we found this killer radio station, and were jammin' to it while we were crusin' for a place to eat. it was playing all the hot stuff, like boys to men, all 4 one, n*sync. yes.
- just as I thought I had sucessfully navigated the backwoods of WVA, to the PA state line, and was good to go....the road came to a T, it should have been more of a crossroads, as my directions indicated, but contrary to the map, and real life....so I had to bootleg my way home to Somerset, but I made it!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home