Annapolis Review
Well here it is! Some salient points from my excursion to Annapolis: My mom and I arrived downtown Annapolis in time for lunch. Back in ’83 (and ’03 for that matter), there was this great market area, where you could grab a sandwich, or seafood and eat it by the harbor. As we drove into town we were shocked to see that the market was cleared out! That’s where we always got our lunches! It was tradition! Well apparently Annapolis doesn’t care about Evans tradition! We found a spot for lunch called Riordan’s. It backs up to our old house, and my mom used to be able to figure out the soup of the day, cause we could smell it! We hung out downtown, I am convinced Annapolis is the hottest town ever, and it’s not just because of the Midshipmen! (really, it’s all cobblestone brick, and the heat actually is absorbed in them, and just radiates out)
By 4pm, we had gotten a parking ticket. I called the number to try to pay with a credit card, and the lady said it wouldn’t be in the system for 24-48 hours. And if you don’t pay it within 24 hours it goes up 5 bucks….so how are you supposed to pay over the phone? Well I asked the lady, and she had to transfer me to someone else because she didn’t know! How can you not know the answer to that? I hung up, after wasting 10 minutes of peak cell phone time. We put 2 postcard stamps on the frickin envelope and sent it on its way (again, using more than 37 cents=costing more money). We met Mark by the harbor and went to an Irish Pub for dinner called Galway Bay (a place in Ireland I have been!). How many Annapolis natives and Midshipmen did it take to find the place? All 3 of us! We got a little lost! When we walked in the hostess said to Mark, “Sir, does your commander know you are out on the town with 2 women?” It must have looked like MY MOM and I were going to be causing trouble or something….
We got a personal tour of the Naval Academy by Mark. Which was exciting, he told us pretty much everything we could want to know about the Academy, and I mean everything! It was good though. We learned about the classes he’s taking. I asked if he practices by playing battleship! And, surprisingly- he said they play a game a lot like it, but more high tech! When I saw a “sample room” (you aren’t allowed to see their living quarters) I noticed how sterile it was, “are you allowed to put up posters?” I asked. “um, no…we have this bulletin board area, that we can post anything on, but that’s it” Oh, Susan, we wouldn’t have done well there!

birthplace of MeredithMooreEvans!

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge at sunset!

Mark and I


5 Comments:
Nice pic of Mark and you. Reminds me of prom.
so who is mark?
Meredith, your hair's the longest I've ever seen it!!!
I know why IWU girls grow their hair out...!!! Nice to see you again, Meridith.
meredith!!! blog about me! and my cat! blog about the time the cat jumped on the sink and how you tried to get her to come down!
Post a Comment
<< Home