16 June 2006

"I'm only drinking this wine because it matches my dress"


Ah, June 15th...an evening of joy! As tentative plans fell through, new ones sprung up.

I was cruising around the website of one of my favorite bands, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals about a month ago, and realized that indeed, she was coming to Cleveland. After making plans with Beth and Scott to go see her, they would pop up to Cleveland, we'd go to the show, and then they'd continue on to Vermont for the summer. WELL, due to family wedding showers on Beth's part, the plan was no longer feasible.

Next option: I grabbed my 2 grace potter cds and gave them to my dad, "dad, listen to these and tell me you can't live your life the same without going to see her this thursday" a few days later he replied with, "well, she's funky...but good, she's an acquired taste! I wouldn't mind going to see her."

Shortly after that, I found out that my dear friends, James and Emily, from camp were going to be in Ohio, and going to the grace potter show with them would totally be feasible! My dad ended up having other plans for the night of the show, so...I met James and Emily downtown, and we uncovered Wilbert's (a Cleveland venue famous for jazz and blues artists playing there). I had previously chatted with beth to determine if wearing the I loVERMONT shirt would be a negative or a good to go for the show..we decided it was a heck yes.

It had been two summers since I saw Grace Potter..the first time was June 04 at Nectar's in Burlington, VT and Aug 04 in Waitesfield, VT (her hometown).

James, Em, and I all met in a parking garage a quarter of a block away from the venue, James pretty much attacked me, it was great. We bought tickets and Slick steve the Ticket Guy asked me if I was from VT, and I said no but that James and em were..he's like oh- there are some other people here from VT, maybe you know them....I don't think Slick Steve the Ticket Guy knew the band was from VT, therefore possibly drawing a large crowd from that area....

Can I just tell you the smile that I saw come over one of the band members face's when he saw my shirt!? "Yay, for some VT love!" They played a great set, it was sweet because it wasn't crowded, a switch up form the VT shows! They played alot of new stuff which I wasn't necessarily ready for, but it was still excellent. This was where Grace informed the audience why she had a glass of wine on her organ...."I'm only drinking this wine because it matches my dress". well said, well said. I'm guessing it was a chardonnay. we chatted with Scott the guitar player, who was a cool guy, and appreciated the love from VT, too! He told us how excited he was the other day when he got to "jam" with Mike Gordon the bassist form Phish, and getting psyched for playing at Bonaroo tomorrow afternoon.

James rounded out the evening by giving me a hunk of cheese from Shelburne Farms, a famous spot in VT, and James will argue with anyone that Shelburne cheese is better than Cabot, well, I now have one of each, so we will see...

g'night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"James rounded out the evening by giving me a hunk of cheese from Shelburne Farms"

It would have been really smooth of James if he had said, "I got you a hunk of cheese from Shelburne Farms, I forgot the cheese, but brought the hunk." As he puffs out his chest and puts his hands on his hips in a rather Superman like style.

6:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home