07 January 2006

A Breath of fresh Vermont Air


Last night and this morning i had the pleasure of having a delightful houseguest: Nate, my dear friend from Camp.
He was en route to Chicago from Vermont, and Cleveland was on the way.
Nate arrived around seven and brought a light snow shower with him. We had appetizers of chips and salsa; accompanied by a woodchuck (what the heck else would we drink? Just like Guinness and an Irishman) followed by dinner of chicken&swiss cheese and stuffing with veggies and a terrific orange and almond salad. Finished off with a gooey caramel chocolate cake.
we chatted, caught up on what's been going in life...reminisced about camp- came to the conclusion that camp is one of those things that you look back on with fondness, but during camp, well sometimes there were those days where you were about to quit.
We spent the rest of the evening digging up some dirt on our boss (the camp director). I mean you have to question a guy in his late thirties that was a high executive in California then left it all to be a gym teacher (and camp director by summer) in Vermont.Gotta wonder. We embarked side by side on my bed with our macs scouring the Internet, alas,we found nothing. We're still skeptical.

We called the Vermonters (Scott Hess) and found out they were having a bit of a get together/ camp reunion. We told them we were too, just Midwest Style. We tried to convince Beth W. to come up. "Meredith, are you actually suggesting I drive to Cleveland, like now?" "Beth, don't even- you know you've thought and we've done crazier stuff"
Due to Beth's wussiness, she says her car wouldn't make it to Cleveland, but it could make it to Columbus. Given that my car doesn't start/ is incapable of backing out of the garage.... we were in a jam. I tossed and turned all night trying to come up with a genius plan so we could all hang out. I got up in the middle of the night, filled my Guinness glass with water and tried to get some rest.

I awoke, without a Columbus meeting plan, nor a plan of what to do with Nate all morning. When we were eating breakfast, I pitched the options. A) play on our playground in the backyard
B) play down on Lake Erie
C) take a tour of the Mormon Temple near Mentor

Option C was pursued, the Temple unfortunately was not open weekdays in the winter. There went that option, even though Nate tried to convince me they wouldn't turn us down, he even wanted to wear a tie, and try to convert them.

Option B was fufilled, we went to the lakefront, pondered who the residents of the cute lakeside homes might have been. We also saw a Morton Salt Mine, random. It reminded me of the time Jon and I were driving to PA and i was like, "it smells like dog food!" We turned around to find a dog food factory. The salt mine was less smelly. (I should note here that when we were out, Nate opened the car door for me! +points)

After our lakeside expedition, we came back to the house and made sandwiches and then my pal headed home! He's a sweetheart!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

Dang it Meredith. I read this almost ten minutes ago and moved on but then had to come back to comment reason why?

I can't stop thinking about the chicken with swiss. It's made me extremely hungry.

1:57 am  
Blogger .meredith. said...

It was tasty.
I forgot to mention that we tried to go into a Byzantine Catholic Church we saw. All the doors were locked. I was pretty excited too after Nate had given me a detailed description about the differences b/t Roman and Byzantine Catholics.
It seems as though the Mormons didn't want us, not the Byzantine Catholics...maybe John Wesley does miss me.

2:15 am  
Blogger eyes on europe said...

haaaaaaaa.

that's why when asked "which friend of yours is the most hungry" i chose jon schaller.

5:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home